Yes, KCHIP Covers Telehealth Visits During COVID-19 - Here are 5 Tips to Prepare Your Child
Parenting during the COVID-19 pandemic is a challenge. And moms and dads whose children have medical needs during this state of emergency know that getting kids to understand what's happening at a virtual checkup isn't easy. The good news is that, yes, the Kentucky Children's Health Insurance Program covers telehealth visits, and yes, you can prepare your child so these visits are easier on everyone. Here are five tips:
- Prepare for the visit. Have everything you need - like medical records, list of symptoms, prescription names, and of course what questions you have - ready for the doctor or nurse.
- Practice with your child. Contact a relative using similar technology you will use for the doctor's visit to get your child familiar. Talking to a screen and seeing someone talk back can be confusing for a child at first.
- Find the right space. Use a quiet, well-lit room or area during your visit so your doctor can see and hear you clearly.
- Get online early. Make sure your connection is good so you don't have technology troubles and have to postpone your appointment.
- Ask your child to bring a toy. Have a book or toy for your child to play with during the visit, so you can focus on conversations with the doctor and taking notes about follow-up care.
Thanks to technology – and KCHIP – our kids can continue to safely get the medical attention they need during the COVID-19 emergency. Learn more about KCHIP at kidshealth.ky.gov or benefind.ky.gov, or call toll-free at (877) 524-4719.